Thursday, August 27, 2009

Book Clubbin'

I've always wanted to belong to a book club. A real life, gathering of people who sip coffee or tea and discuss the latest book selection, preferably wearing full J Crew attire with ultra white teeth and head tossing laughter. So I can't afford full J Crew attire, I can blend! So I drink too much coffee and my teeth aren't ultra white... The point IS, that it just seems like so much durned fun! Heck, I'll even sip chocolate soy milk in the kitchen and promote it!

And THEN, la la la laaaaaaaaaaa ~ I found myself a crew of real life FUN women who want to form a book club! I was SUPER pumped and searching the clearance selection at J Crew Online. (No, not really!) I had all great intentions of purchasing my copy of The Great Gatsby, our first pick!

And THEN, summer took over, and with it a busy workload, three kids at home fighting as I work and/or asking repetitively, "Can I have a friend come over? Can I have a friend come over? Can I have a friend come over?" As well as, "Can we go to the mall? Can we go to a movie? Can we go to the park? Can we go on a bike ride? Can we go buy , Can I have a pony?" (again, not really...) And also, "I'M BORED!" There were business meetings, camping trips, birthday parties, a small vacation to The Wisconsin Dells, and once in a while, sleep.

SO ~ I still have not purchased my copy of The Great Gatsby. What's wrong with me? Two girls are done with it, one is halfway through, one couldn't get past page seven. And then there's the book club dreamer, ME, who hasn't even made an attempt! But ohhhhhh, that will change. I shall go out and buyeth my copy and I shall retire to my bedroom at a respectable hour and read that which is a classic. Soon!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I want to join in with my friends in our MOMS Club book club, but I find my time so limited that I barely have time to read all the books I want to read much less what's "assigned." But it does sound so nice.

I read Gatsby in high school and never understood the big deal. Then I read it a couple times in college then taught it to high school juniors. Now I LOVE rereading it and I still have my old copy with all my notes in it.