Wednesday, February 11, 2009

On The Verge Of The Teenage Years

This summer my eldest will turn thirteen. A teenager, in my very own house! But I still sorta feel like a teenager myself! I said sorta, okay? In the following ways; I still like the music I liked during my teen years, yet I also like the music that my girls are listening to. I'm reading the Twilight Series as are my girls. (so good!) I still love to get jiggy with it. I still hang with my girlfriends. I still like regular Coke, even though I've trained myself to drink Diet....

I could list an infinite number of ways that I'm so NOT like a teenager, so we don't even need to go there. My point is, I see a funny look on my daughter's face when I ask her if I can read the next book in the Twilight Series. (They are her property - she bought them!) She thinks it's ridiculous that I have an iPod and even more ridiculous that I have Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Pink, etc... on it. (It's so awesome to jog to and to clean to!!!) Every time I walk by her wearing it she looks funny.

So we're reaching the age - I'm an embarassment. The shame of having a mom!!! I remember. I was there once myself so I shall try to keep that in mind over the next, what, seven years? I don't know how long it lasts, but I do know it gets much, much worse than this. This is only the beginning. And once she's thirteen, I will have teenagers in the house for the following THIRTEEN years! Is that some sort of a sign????

I'm thinking about doing my own "punked" on my pre-teen. Things like dressing like a granny for a day, watching the Lawrence Welk Show, and telling her to "GIT" as I shoo her out of the kitchen with my broom. Then I'll vacuum the living room in my heels and pearls as I be sure that dinner's hot when dad gets home and we all look presentable.

No comments: