Monday, April 20, 2009

After agreeing to register for a 5K with a few friends, I grew very nervous as the day of the race approached. Between being extremely busy with work and kids, I had made little time for training. The week of the event I had to calm myself by conceding that it would be just fine to both run and walk. I was there for the experience and the exercise, not to compete against anyone. I figured I would alternate between running and walking, with the running amounting to about two miles and the walking about one.

Our registration came with the tag to pin to the front of your shirt, and an ugly, orange t-shirt. We settled in line with the rest of the 1,000 plus runners and visited as we waited to start. And then suddenly, we started. I began with a light jog and kept pace with my friend. We passed the walkers as we jogged and before we knew it, we passed the one mile mark. We knew that halfway through there would be a water table and we briefly walked as I tried to drink my water between heaving breaths, then we picked up the pace once again. Throughout the whole thing, we only walked a couple of times for just a few minutes each. Remarkably, for me anyway, we finished the run at 34:03, which was 12 seconds under what ended up being the average time for that race. I was thrilled!

We celebrated by eating at Red Lobster, something that would bother my stomach for two days after, but it was worth it! I now can’t wait to wear my ugly orange t-shirt with pride, because I participated in a 5K! Not only that, I’ve lost weight and have the desire to run now. I don’t ever see myself as wanting to go any further than the 3.1 miles that make up a 5K, but now I can get on a treadmill, or go for a jog, and know that it’s not unattainable for me. I’ll go a mile here and there, or I’ll go the full 3.1. Whatever the case, I’m glad to have gotten involved and am happy to have running as a part of my workout routine.

No comments: